All this is for my final illustration project in Ani 112a. I just thought it might be interesting for some people to see the whole process we had to go through! So here we goooooooooo!
|So, to start off the assignment was to illustrate our interpretation of one of these nursery rhymes. After some considering I decided to go with "Little Miss Muffet"|
|The next step was to do thumbnails just to get as many ideas out as I could. A minimum of 100.|
|After looking at all my ideas, I picked my top four to pitch to my class and professor for approval (the bottom left was the approved idea).|
|So next we were to create a minimum of 25 compositional thumbnails with very basic values. This was to help solidify the idea and composition of the piece.|
|From that I picked my top two and got some critique on the one that was approved.|
|After the compositional thumbnails, we were to seek out or take our own reference. Here is just some of the reference I used. Nothing was really exactly what I wanted for my image, so I had to do a lot of studying, mixing, and matching.|
|After gathering some reference we tackled a half sized drawing (4.5"x 6") in graphite. This went through some critique and was fixed up as was needed.|
|After the studies we then moved on to make a full sized pencil drawing to try to finalize the values and composition of the piece.|
We then transferred the full sized drawing onto another sheet of bristol board to have the layin for our final pen and ink illustration (which is not a forgiving medium!). Here's some shots I took throughout my working process on the final (I didn't think to take pics until a ways into the illustration, but I thought it might be fun to see the drawing grow):
|This is the very last step before the finished piece. All I had to do was go in with just a tiny bit of white acrylic paint and clean up a few areas. But it's pretty much done! (you can see the full final in my next post)|
Then I was curious what all the sheets of paper that I used would look like spread out, so here's most of it! Pretty much everything you've seen above plus quite a few sheets of extra technique practice before I brought it to the final:
Woooo! Really long post for a pretty long project! This project was a lot of fun and I feel like I learned a lot!